Saturday, January 15, 2011

My (our) Kids

My husband and I have 3 kids.  They are all grown now.  The youngest, our daughter, still lives with us - hence the title of my blog.


Two boys and a girl.  Both boys are married, our daughter is getting married in July this year.


Our kids are wonderful kids and a blessing to be sure.  All have come to know Jesus as their Savior and all are trying their best to serve Him as we taught them.


Our oldest is married and the father of a 2 year old son, our grandson.  His family has been in flux the past year or so moving and dealing with marital separation.  They are on the mend now, but it has been a rough road for them.  We have, as a family, also struggled with their situation.  I question myself all the time about whether or not I handled myself in the right way for them.  Nevertheless, our son is being the husband and father he should be.  It is quite wonderful to see.  So proud of both he and his wife for trusting the Lord in all they are doing.  We continue to pray for the healing of their marriage and family.  


Our second son got married in January last year and just celebrated their first anniversary.  He is a great guy.  He is our miracle child that God gave us. As a 9 month old, he was diagnosed with cancer.  His right kidney was engulfed by what they call Wilm's tumor.  He went through 15 months of chemotherapy and some radiation right after surgery to remove the tumor.  He has had checkups throughout his life and is cancer free.  He lived with us right up to the day he married.  He just finished his bachelors degree in history with a minor in secondary education.  Very proud of him.  Looking forward to seeing how he and his wife take on the world.  She is a registered nurse.


Last but not least is our daughter.  She turns 24 this week. Wow!  Hard to believe.  She is marrying her "boo" this summer.  She is also a registered nurse.  She is funny, witty, and charming.  It has been a joy to have her living with us.  She got her BSN at Baylor University and lived away from home for four and a half years during that time, two and a half in Waco, and two years in Dallas at the nursing school.  Wedding planning in full swing!


We have had all three of our kids and a daughter-in-law and grandson living with us at some point or other all our lives.  But I believe that is about to end for real now that our daughter is getting married.  Once she marries, we will truly have an empty nest for the first time ever, completely and totally.


I have always prayed that God would grant us enough time on this earth to raise our children to adulthood, and to be growing, serving Christ followers.  I believe He has answered my prayers.


I have also told my mother for a few years now, ever since I saw the light at the end of this tunnel of raising kiddos, that I could not wait until they are all grown, gone and on their own.  I may live to regret those words just a bit.  I truly want them all to be out there and successful without us but pretty sure that now it is eminent, upon us, if you will, that sadness may creep in a bit.


Tearing up just thinking about it.  Ah, well, we will enjoy it once we get used to it.  The boys live nearby but sweetie daughter and her "boo" will be in another state for about a year while he finishes pharmacy school.  Such is life, and I am truly grateful to God for my life.  I am blessed beyond measure....



No comments:

Post a Comment