Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Memories and Writing

My sister and I were chatting on FaceBook one night quite a while ago and our chat was about writing books.  I have always dreamed of being a writer and actually have a few ideas so we were just chatting about writing.  We thought we might collaborate on a book one day, came up with a name or two to write under combining our names.  At the same time, I was also chatting with my eldest son.  He asked what his aunt and I were chatting about and when I told him, he said he did not know I wanted to write. And he said he probably did not know some other things about his mother.

So, somewhere down the road, he mentioned that I should write about my life for my kids.  He had become interested in some of our family history at that time and had done a bit of research so he was in that frame of mind.  Now I have been telling stories about our family and myself for years and thought my stories were infamous.  But I digress.  So, I credit this longing to put my stories in writing to my son.  He then began writing a blog about his life as the dad of a toddler which inspired me to begin writing my blog again.  I had begun this blog as a library study but just went ahead and continued here on the same blog.  I renamed it and here we are.

Since my son mentioned that I should write it all down, I have done a lot of thinking.  I questioned myself on how I would write.  Use a word processing app?  Use this blog, that can be published as a book?  Where would I start?  My first memory?  Do I know what that is?  What do I remember?  I decided to at least begin writing here and see where it takes me.

I have been leaving names off here in the interest of security and privacy but if I am to write my memories, names will be important.  So I will be using first names only as I write.  With all of this foundation set in my head, I think I can start.

No comments:

Post a Comment